Dr. Carl Juneau is an exercise scientist with a PhD in physical activity epidemiology. He’s been a coach and a lifter for 16 years. He’s also the founder of Dr. Muscle. Dr. Muscle is a new phone app that helps you build muscle faster using AI. It’s like a personal trainer in your pocket that’s 10 times cheaper than a human trainer, available 24/7, and always up to date. To try it out, learn more or get your first month free, use this special link: https://drmuscleapp.com/juma.
– Schoenfeld et al. 2016 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27102172
– Schoenfeld et al. 2017: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28834797
– Rippetoe and Baker 2014: https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Programming-Strength-Training-Rippetoe/dp/0982522754
– Nuckols 2018: https://www.strongerbyscience.com/periodization-data/
– Ahtiainen et al. 2005: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095405
In this podcast, Carl and I discussed periodisation for muscle growth. Some of the things we discuss are:
(06:25) What is periodization?
(07:50) Is there a difference between periodisation for muscle growth compared to strength?
(15:20) What are the fundamentals for setting up a successful periodisation for muscle growth and how should you progress based on if you are a beginner, intermediate or advanced?
(48:25) What is the take home message?